The Institute of Contemporary Art, Design and Architecture of the Art Academy of Latvia (AAL) is announcing an open call for a full-time senior researcher position for six years starting in December 2022 in the field of contemporary art and theory and cross-disciplinary research.
The aim of the institute is to recognise, give exposure to and interpret phenomena of contemporary art, design and architecture. Its purpose is to foster innovation through research at an international level on synergies between the knowledge fields of culture, economics, society, technology and industry.
The institute’s work is directed towards cross-disciplinary research and application of critical theory in research on contemporary art, curatorial practices and the fields of design and architecture in the Baltic region and beyond. The institute aims to advance new research directions and integrate new research approaches and theoretical frameworks into the study curricula of the AAL. The institute initiates fundamental, applied and artistic research projects and acts as a theoretical and conceptual research base for the AAL. The current position will cover research on contemporary art and theory, art historical contexts since the mid-20th century and cross-disciplinary research on artistic practices in the Baltic Sea region and other regions of Europe.
- PhD degree
- Comprehensive knowledge of contemporary critical theory, research methods and interpretational frameworks of contemporary art
- Academic research experience in contemporary art and theory or practice-led research
- Work experience at international art and research institutions – state-run or NGOs (experience in organising conferences, discussions, discursive events)
- International contact network and links to academia (academic merits and global contact network, experience in academic leadership, teamwork and management skills)
- Experience in initiating and leading scientific research projects and in writing grant proposals to acquire funding
- Indexed scientific publications
- Considered as an advantage:
- Interest and knowledge in art and cultural history and contemporary art of the Baltic Sea region
- Curatorial experience and a cross-disciplinary research focus
- Teaching experience
- English – fluent, both speaking and writing
- Full-time monthly base salary (EUR 1404,00 - 1754,00 including all taxes)
- Project funding, depending on successful applications
- Participation fees covered for conferences, reimbursable travel expenses for participation in conferences
- A bonus system based on scientific publications and citations
- Flexible work schedule with periodical presence at AAL and involvement in the teaching process of the Institute of Contemporary Art, Design and Architecture
The senior researcher will work closely with the Institute of Contemporary Art, Design and Architecture team: senior researcher Dr.-techn. Eva Sommeregger; guest researcher Dr.-Ing. Dietmar Koering; and researchers PhD. Liene Jākobsone, Māra Traumane and Dina Suhanova.
Application submission requirements (in English):
- Motivation letter, indicating research focus and fields of interest
- List of publications and research projects
To submit your application, please e-mail it to silvija.kusnere(abols)lma.lv with the subject line “konkurss: LMDA”.