OPEN CALL FOR SENIOR RESEARCHER POSITION IN CONTEMPORARY DESIGN THEORY AND CROSS–DISCIPLINARY RESEARCH
The Institute of Contemporary Art, Design and Architecture of the Art Academy of Latvia (AAL) is announcing an open call for a part-time (0,5) senior researcher position for six years starting in December 2022 in the field of contemporary design theory and cross-disciplinary research.
The aim of the institute is to recognise, give exposure to and interpret phenomena of contemporary art, design and architecture. Its purpose is to foster innovation through research at an international level on synergies between the knowledge fields of culture, economics, society, technology and industry.
The institute’s work is directed towards cross-disciplinary research of design practices and theories, and curatorial practices in the Baltic region and beyond. The institute aims to advance new research directions and integrate new research approaches and theoretical frameworks into the study curricula of the AAL. The institute initiates fundamental, applied and artistic research projects and acts as a theoretical and conceptual research base for the AAL. The current position will cover research on contemporary design theory and practice, and that is expected to transcend the disciplinary boundaries in search for new contexts and new coalitions.
- PhD degree
- Comprehensive knowledge of contemporary design and design history, research methods and interpretational frameworks of contemporary design
- Experience in theoretical design research or research through design practice
- Work experience at international design research institutions (experience in organising conferences, discussions, discursive events)
- International contact network and links to academia (academic merits and global contact network, experience in academic leadership, teamwork and management skills)
- Experience in initiating and leading scientific research projects and in writing grant proposals to acquire funding
- Indexed scientific publications
- Considered as an advantage:
- Interest and knowledge in contemporary non-commercial, critical, experimental and discursive design practices and theories that push the disciplinary boundaries
- Curatorial experience and a cross-disciplinary research focus
- Teaching experience
- English – fluent, both speaking and writing
- Part-time monthly base salary (EUR 702 – 877) including all taxes)
- Project funding, depending on successful applications
- Participation fees covered for conferences, reimbursable travel expenses for participation in conferences
- A bonus system based on scientific publications and citations
- Flexible work schedule with periodical presence at AAL and involvement in the teaching process of the Institute of Contemporary Art, Design and Architecture
The senior researcher will work closely with the Institute of Contemporary Art, Design and Architecture team: senior researcher Dr.-techn. Eva Sommeregger; guest researcher Dr.-Ing. Dietmar Koering; and researchers PhD. Liene Jākobsone, Māra Traumane and Dina Suhanova.
Application submission requirements (in English):
- Motivation letter, indicating research focus and fields of interest
- List of publications and research projects
To submit your application, please e-mail it to silvija.kusnere(abols)lma.lv with the subject line “konkurss: design_LMDA”.
Application deadline: November 24, 2022
Zoom interviews will be scheduled for selected candidates in December 2022.
For more information, click HERE