Fashion Department of the Art Academy of Latvia trains contemporary-minded and professionally competitive fashion artists capable of working in various segments of the fashion industry.
In addition to academic courses, the study program provides the opportunity to acquire knowledge in a fashion specialty:
- Fashion history – learning this course student goes through different time of period of fashion and for a student it gives a picture of the relationship of back in the days fashion and todays fashion;
- Millinery design – students at the end of the course have a picture of how woman hats are made;
- Collection planning – teacher educates how to create plan for production, how to present ideas to others, knowledge about business, how to develop business ideas;
- Embroidery – at the end of the course students know how to digitalize and embroider unique design elements using different stitch ways, applications and letters;
- Zero waste – in this subject student learns how to use fabric without trimmings;
- Computer construction – with a special digital program students learn how to make digital cutouts;
- Composition – after the learning process students has a clear vision about different styles for woman wear and men wear, importance of details in garment. Students get to know how it is to work when someone is giving you a task, idea, theme and how to create a mood board based on a theme, and out of the theme create collection theme. Also they can visualize their ideas in illustrations. End product is understandable collections concept;
- Fashion design – students get knowledge about different garments technical sewing, they can interpret technologies in a creative way so they can make their ideas in real life;
- Fabric design – at the end of the course every student has created his own patterns and has made a sample for textiles ready for presentation;
- Design user – students get a cooperation skill that helps when working in real fashion house. It helps to analyze company’s profiles and to work with its style, target audience and vision. Thanks to textile design program our students also learn how to make their own print by hand in screen printing technique.
Students are encouraged to create both high-quality, ready-made and production-ready design products, and costumes – independent art objects or performances.
Graduates work as fashion designers, theater and film costume designers, fashion illustrators, stylists, and teachers; moreover, they develop their own fashion brands.
ECTS course catalogue II (FALL) SEMESTER:
BA level 2nd year
BA level 3rd year
MA level 1st year